Friday 21 February 2014

13. Friday Mutton burra (lamb chops) & Rice & Broccoli, Cauliflower and Green Beans


I had been looking forward to this meal all week, I absolutely LOVE lamb and always if we order an Indian takeaway get the tandoori lamb chops. I had to make a few improvises to the recipe and we had vegetables instead of Indian salad as half the ingredients had gone funny.

The mutton burra recipe is taken from: enjoy curries recipes to make you go mmmm...by Love Food

Ingredients:

* Rice
* Frozen broccoli, cauliflower, green beans
* Sesame oil
* soy sauce (check wheat free)

mutton burra:

* Lamb chops I used Iceland frozen economy chops, defrosted before marinating
* Vegetable oil for brushing I didn't use this as I don't have a food brush
* 40g ghee or butter, melted I didn't use this as trying to be healthy
* chopped fresh coriander 

marinade:

* 300g natural yoghurt, strained through a muslin for at least 2 hours OR 200g greek-style yoghurt I had planned to use the Greek style yoghurt but as I had opened the tub on Sunday when I went to use it this morning there was a suspicious yellowy liquid ontop and it tasted tangy, so I opted for goats yoghurt which we had in but I didn't strain it.
 * 2 large garlic cloves
* 1/2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
* 1tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp ground coriander
* 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
* Pinch ground cloves
* Pinch ground tumeric
* Salt and pepper

Method:

1. To make the marinade, put all the ingredients with some salt and pepper into a polythene bag large enough to hold all the chops (I used a bowl and covered it with tin foil) and mix together well. Add the chops, seal the bag and leave to marinate for 4-24 hours I did 5 hours.

2. When ready to cook, line a grill pan with foil and brush the rack with a little vegetable oil. Remove the chops from the marinade, Arrange the chops on the rack and drizzle with half the ghee. 

3. Cook the chops for 10 minutes, then turn over and drizzle with the remaining ghee. Continue grilling for a further 8 minutes for medium or 10 minutes for well done. I gave it and extra 5 minutes each side as the marinade took a while to dry out. Leave to stand for at least 2 minutes, the sprinkle with coriander and serve. Can be served hot or cold.

4. When putting the lamb in the grill, put rice in the slow cooker as it takes 20 minutes to cook. Also put the vegetables on to boil.

5. When the vegetables have boiled, drain and place on a plate and sprinkle over sesame oil and soy sauce. then serve up rice and lamb and scatter over coriander.

Review:

The flavours on the lamb wern't as strong as I was expecting and was a bit disappointing. This could have been because I used the wrong yoghurt, spices are getting a bit old, didn't marinade for long enough or because I didn't marinade in the plastic bag, but when I make this again I would definitely double up the amount of spices. The sauces on the vegetables gave them a nice exotic flavour and I didn't need to use too much as they are quite strong, however I would also have added them to the rice to add more flavour to it. My husband said adding a splash of soy sauce to the lamb helped to really bring out the flavours. It was a clean flavour and I would cook this again but try and make the flavours stronger on the lamb. My daughter (who until recently refused to eat anything remotely meat-like) actually ate it all which was great :o)    

No comments:

Post a Comment