Sunday 16 February 2014

8. Saturday Oven fried chilli chicken (fake kfc) & chips & potato skins & colslaw & corn on the cob






Oooh I love love LOVE this recipe, in a past life my favorite takeaway of all time was KFC but obviously that went out the window with the wheat and MSG intolerance! This I have found to be a very good substitute to the point that I don't feel like I'm missing out; and if I am totally honest I slightly prefer the test of this chicken as 1. it is less oily and 2. it has more flavour from the garlic and ginger. Not pictured here but I substituted my coleslaw and corn (this is hubby's plate) for mixed salad leaves as was feeling the need for a vitamin boost and also it just all looked a little too yellow/beige! The chicken on it own stands alone and could easily be done for lunches; in wraps, as hand food for picnics or with rice with dinner, very versatile and VERY tasty!

I have slightly adapted it, but the original recipe comes from: Chef's favourites Anjum's Indian Food: Anjum Anand

 Ingredients:


* Thin fries chips
* Potato skins
* Colslaw
* Corn on the cob (I did 1 per person)


* 800g chicken joints, skinned and forked over I have found chicken breasts work better for the coating to stick to: I use Iceland 10 mini fillets 
* 3 tbsp vegetable oil
* 4 slices of white bread crumbed I used 2 Tesco wheat free white rolls
* 1 Large egg I ended up needing 2
* 1/4 tsp salt I used 1 tsp
* 1/4 tsp black pepper I used 1 tsp
* 3/4 tsp cumin powder
I also added:
* 1 tsp paprika
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp white pepper
* 1 tsp garlic powder
* 1 tsp onion powder

 
Marinade:

* 10g fresh grated ginger
* 25g garlic (approximately 9 large cloves) grated
* 2-4 green chillies, seeds and membranes remove I left this out as my daughter doesn't like things too spicy
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp garam masala
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil

Method:

1. Blend all the marinade ingredients into a paste and place in a non-metallic bowl. Add the chicken and coat well in the paste. Leave in the fridge to marinade for a couple of hours or overnight. Bring back to room temperature before cooking. I left mine for a couple of hours and it was fine you could taste the garlic and ginger well, although the longer you leave it the stronger the flavours. 

2. Preheat the oven to 225oC/425oF/gas mark 7. Pour the oil into a roasting tin large enough to accommadate the chicken in one open layer. Place the pan on a high shelf in teh oven to heat up for 15 minutes.

3. Mix the spices into the breadcrumbs. Take the chicken out of the marinade letting the excess drip off and roll in the spicy breadcrumbs, ensuring an even coating on all sides. Dip into the egg and add a second coating of crumbs.

4. Place the chicken in the oiled roasting tin and cook for 20 minutes. Then lower the oven temperature to 200oC/400oF/gas mark 6. Turn the chicken over and cook for another 15-20 minutes until cooked through. This is when I added the chips, potato skins to the oven and heated the corn on the cob which was frozen on the hob.

Review:

 This chicken would definitely get 10/10 from it I absolutely love it. I found 3 fillets per adult was enough and 1 for my daughter; who actually ate it all which is an achievement as I had pretty much written her off as a vegetarian and given up any hope of getting her to eat meat. So we have 3 strips left over for lunches tomorrow YAY :o). I definitely preferred mine with salad instead of the corn, colslaw and potato skins as it seemed to balance it more. The crumb stuck to the chicken a lot better then previous attempts at this recipe. I'm not sure if it was because I used chicken breast fillets instead of skinned joints that were maybe more greasy, or the wheat free rolls were a better texture for the crumb then wheat free bread; but it came out really well this time and none came away.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment